Monday, December 18, 2006

Narita


As I often do when I'm bored, I get on the train and go somewhere. A coworker mentioned a temple and park in Narita (where the big international airport is) so I decided to go. Turns out its a huge temple complex, with buildings ranging from ancient to under construction. There I saw some really important guy, (bishop?? lama??) and his entourage walk across the square to the chimes of a bell. Very cool experience. Also in the extensive park there were numerous Buddhist gravestones, an old teahouse, a calligraphy museum and lots of other surprises. It was a stunning place and I took about a million pictures. The park was of course totally landscaped so it was actually more akin to a massive garden. I even saw a man on a cherry-picker trimming an evergreen tree with a pair of hand-shears.... damn. There was a little girl having her picture taken by her parents wearing a pink kimono, it was adorable but I felt awkward taking a picture, so I quickly snapped one secretly. Towering over the ponds and gardens was an enormous pagoda, larger than any I have seen and brightly painted red and gold. Wicked place to take a date for a stroll... but, first things first...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home